The Quest for Classics: Pueblo

I wrote earlier that we have ventured on a quest to acquire the classics. Lost games from our collection - a heritage of gamers. A lot of games that we know about but never got, and some games that we had at hand but now do not.


Our quest had an origin point - a spark that shined a light in the darkness of this void. That spark was a game that I have loved since the first time I played it, and a game that holds a very special place in my heart. That game is Pueblo by Wolfgang Kramer.

My brother owns Pueblo. If I don't recall incorrectly it was one of the first games in his collection. It was one of the games that struck us both like lightning from a clear sky - "Can games be this awesome!?". We never got around to picking it up ourselves, because we always thought of it as pointless to own a game that my brother had, as he lived close by and we played it frequently over at his place. But then my brother moved, and strangely enough he took his game collection with him (how rude!!). Pueblo was out-of-print and Ravensburger refused to reprint it for whatever reason. A piece of my Meeple-heart darkened and disappeared into the abyss.

But many years later, during last year's summer, I decided to start a hunt to track down a copy - by any means necessary.

After scavenging the shadiest corners of modern society, just trying to find even an overused, badly beaten second hand copy, I stood paralyzed in our living room one evening as I found a vendor on Amazon Deutschland that was selling a copy still in shrink wrap.
"Could it be true? Is this a scam? What's going on here? Why am I asking myself so many questions?" were some of the questions running through my mind. We discussed the situation, Mrs Meeple and I, and decided that the 40 € risk was worth taking, if there was even a slight chance we could get our hands on this invaluable relic.

A week later we received the package; a copy of Pueblo still in shrink wrap. The box in mint condition. My Meeple-heart was whole again. Sure, the (probable) reason why this copy still existed was apparent when we opened the box; the printing alignment of the board and punch-sheets were misaligned a bit, leaving it slightly skewed. This doesn't affect gameplay at all, and to be honest most people don't even notice it. This is also beside the point - the point being that we now have an own copy of Pueblo, and now we're on a journey to hunt down even more of the lost classics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quest for Classics

Introducing Mrs. Meeple

CORINTH - Colour Me Surprised